5 October 2013

Going to the Theater II

Hi everyone :)


If you haven't read part I you should most definitely do so :)



The castle was amazing but so was my dad's play. 

My dad has been directing play's ever since I can remember. He was out schools drama teacher and the first time I was on stage was when I was just 6 I think. I loved it and still do. The theater is my dad's and I's world, we used to live for it. Now that I have moved out and have gone to uni I can't take part in his play's anymore but I try to go see all of them. 


So when he told me that the premier of his newest one was at the weekend that I came back from New Zealand, I more then happily agreed to come.








The premiere was sold out and the even had to add a couple of more chairs, which we were all very happy about. My dad always puts all his heart into his productions and it is just nice to see that all his hard work pays off in the end.



The play is about the castle of Bruchsal and it's history. The process of building it in 1720 and how it got destroyed in March 1945. Most of it burned down after the bombing of Bruchsal during the II World War but it was decided that the main part of the building would be reconstructed. It took till the late 1970s till they were finished and turned it into a museum. 





My dad playing a teacher who shows his pupils around the castle in the time leading up to it's destruction in 1945. 

And the prince-archbishop Damian in the background.



Damian with a worm that embodies all the problem's he faces with the building the castle.





We also switched showplaces during the play and got taken into the chapel royal that got reconstructed on the outside but the inside was modernized very beautifully. 



The teacher my dad embodied was his father. My granddad helped to clear the chapel after the bombing with one of his classes he was teaching because the castle and all that came with it meant a lot to him. 

The priest, who was responsible for the chapel royal, was so grateful for that and wanted to give something back. Obviously it was in the midst of the post-war years and he didn't have any money so he gave my granddad this:



It is the head of an angel statue that used to stand in the chapel. I grew up with this angel sitting on a shelf in my dad's study and knew it was a heirloom but I never had a clue as to where it came from. 



This angle's head is worth a lot to my family which is why we would never give it away to a museum. It was given to my granddad for the great work he did in trying to help rebuild the chapel royal and that can never be offset by money. 



The play was truly great. For me personally because it also told a bit of my families story that I hadn't heard of before for everyone else because of the pictures it created and the way it brought history to life.



x

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment