31 August 2013

Zalfie

Hi everyone :)


I don't get how people get so worked up over something that they completely forget what kind of effect it has on others. 

I know I have written about fandom's before and it is kind of similar but I just am not able to get my head around it yet. 
Read my post about fandom's here: Myler.


This time it is not so much about a fandom in general but about this other thing called shipping, which basically means that you want two people (real or not) to be in a relationship. 

So far so good! I mean who didn't think that Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens were really cute in High School Musical and wanted them to be together. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart were literally the same thing only when it happened with them people knew about shipping :) And they ended up together (I know they are not together anymore but that is subsidiary) and people were happy, so good for them.
But there is this whole other side to it. 
Which is when people ship you with someone that you don't want to end up with and then get angry at you for not being with them. Really?  Is that a reason to be mad at someone? I highly doubt it.


And I can imagine this whole shipping thing getting quite annoying especially when you constantly have to defend yourself and your probably none existing relationship with the person you are being shipped with. 

Obviously this only happens to 'famous' people or people like YouTubers who put their lives on the internet for the world to see.
But what people seem to be forgetting here is the fact that YouTubers still get to choose which part of their life they want to share with said world. 
This recently got a little out of hand with two amazing YouTubers that I genuinely enjoy watching. 
I will admit that I am all team Zalfie but I don't watch them for that reason.
I'm talking about Alfie and Zoe, two British YouTubers that happen to have made 2 videos together about Valentines Day








Since that video and probably before that people have been shipping them and given them the name Zalfie. I admit to thinking they looked cute together but that is as far as it goes.

Because for me they were and always will be PointlessBlog and Zoella, two people who make videos but don't necessarily are the same person as Zoe and Alfie. They have lives outside of YouTube and a private life that has nothing to do with what the show in their videos. And I don't think that just from watching their videos you can know who they are. There still is so much that they don't show simply because they don't want to. And that should be okay! People should be able to accept that and keep there nose out of other peoples business. 
I'm not saying that they play characters in their videos because I truly believe that they are not. I just think there is more to them then what we get to see. Also I don't think they are obligated to let their viewers know everything.
It is called private life for a reason after all.


Well back to what happened a view weeks back.

One of their friends vlogged his day and put it up on his channel. At one point you could see the desktop of Zoe's laptop and it showed a picture of her with Alfie. People immediately started posting  screenshots of it on Twitter and wrote about Zalfie being confirmed. 
As a result of that their friend took the vlog down and reedited it. I saw the original vlog and I have to admit I did not pay attention to Zoe's desktop picture. So when people were starting to go crazy about it on Twitter I had no idea what was going on. 
And to be quite honest the only thing I thought about at that point was how horribly Zoe and Alfie must feel. 
Because I was sure that they kept that part of their lives private for a reason but people could not respect that. 
And in addition to that I felt a bit sorry for their friend who had no intention to out Zoe and Alfie as a couple. 
Zoe and Alfie both had said before that they did not like it when people commented on friends vlogs only saying how cute they thought Zalfie looked. I totally get that, I mean those friend put a lot of time and effort into making those vlogs and people then only take time to talk about  how cute Zoe and Alfie were but don't seem to care about what is actually going on. 
I know I would feel weird if it was my vlog people would comment those kinds of things on.


Well but people couldn't let it go and got so obsessed with Zalfie that they literally looked for clues everywhere. So what happened a view weeks back had to happen at some point. 

But I don't get why it had to happen in the first place. Why can people not respect someones wish for privacy?
How could people not get that neither Zoe nor Alfie wanted them to poke their nose into the whole Zaflie situation. 
It was none of peoples business but some people obviously didn't get the memo. 
I understand that they thought it was really cute and I thought so too but if Zoe and Alfie wanted to keep it to themselves, then so be it. It is their life and we have no right to know these kinds of things.


Both of them then took it upon themselves to respond to what people were saying about Zalfie being confirmed and wrote a blog post on Zoe's blog.

Which I think you should read and can do so here: Zalfie.
I really do admire them for doing that and taking the courage to step out into the public with their relationship, I just think it is a bit sad that they even had to go there. 


Although it seems like something good came from it after all. Because now that their viewers know they can really choose what they want people to see and they can experiment with it a bit. Try to figure out what they feel comfortable with sharing and what parts they truly want to keep to themselves.

For me they will always be PointlessBlog and Zoella regardless of the fact that I am really happy fro them :)







But it still don't get why people feel the need to poke their nose into everything. Why can't something private be private? Why do we have to keep digging until we get to the core of things? 

It should be enough that someone stands there to say: No I don't want you to know this. But instead we push them out of the way regardless what we might do to them by doing that. 
This kind of curiosity scares me to be honest.


Well this was long. Sorry of it wasn't interesting for you but I just had to get that on here and therefore out of my head. 

Enjoy your sunday :)


And lets just think about how our own curiosity might affect others before we start digging next time :)



x

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment