18 August 2013

Spreading love

Hello everyone :)

I know I have done something a bit similar to this post before but I don't think it can be said enough times. 
Altruism is something that we seem to forget about most of the time. I mean it is not hard to lend an elder a hand from time to time but we just don't do it. Or by the time we can bring ourselves to help out the opportunity has passed.
Why is that? It is something that should come natural to us and yet it doesn't.
And I'm no better then the people I'm complaining about here. However I do get better at it at least I'd like to think I do.
The other day I was about to walk across the street to get to the bus stop, when a women (around 80 ish) tugged at my sleeve and asked me if I could maybe help her. I linked her arm with mine and lead her across the street to the bus stop and later on helped her get into the bus. We talked about her husband who had died a couple of years ago and how much he loved teaching, till I got of the bus. I could see how happy she was that I took the time to talk to her and I was glad I did.
So why don't we do that more often? Why don't I do that more often? 
It is so rewarding to think about others and help them out and it takes such little time. 

Something I have gotten used to doing by now is getting up in the bus for old people. It took me a while but after doing it for a couple of times it become natural. 
And the smiles you get from those people are so thankful and most of the time also surprised. 
I know when I was little my parents thought me that it is polite to leave your seat to someone who is older then you if there are no other free ones. 

Now I get that sometimes you have to think twice before you do it, because some people get offended. I had this women once who could barely stand but yet she thought it necessary to point out to me that she didn't need that seat cause she was still young. The grandma sitting next time me rolled her eyes at her and said: Just take it. I was glad that I had to get of at the next stop because I just couldn't stop laughing. That grandma was so cool. 

And yes although you might find yourself in situations like this it's always nice to at least try. 
Maybe the person who you offered your seat to might not think so but someone on that bus will! And maybe they get inspired by your action and another old person will be grateful for what you tried to do. 
See that's the thing with altruism: It's contagious. 
Whenever I get up on the bus for someone, there always is another person who get's up for the next grandma or grandpa that get's on the bus. 
It's those simple acts of kindness that will make it easier to help in other situations where it will take a lot more courage to get up.

So lets all try to be inspirational for a while. 
And watch the clip to see how far others go and maybe get inspired by them :)




Have a good week.
And let me know if you helped anyone this week. I would love to know. Maybe we can all be a bit nicer to others together :)

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment