10 August 2013

Trekstock

Hello everyone :)

I have been a bit of a good person again lately :D No that's a lie but this post is a bit serious so the only way for me to get this out there is with a bit of humor. Hope no one gets offended by that and if so I'm sorry in advance.

As you can read in the title, this post is about Trekstock. Now I get that a lot of you probably have no idea what Trekstock is, but that's what I'm here for.
Trekstock is a charity that supports young people with cancer.

I support a lot of different charities all over the world and have just recently added Trekstock to the list.
Now why is it important for me to support Trekstock you might ask yourselves. I don't have cancer myself but I have had my fair share of people in my family and social environment that died of it.

When I was about 11 my granddad fell sick with lung cancer and my whole family watcher him fade away over quite a long period of time. I think it was almost 1,5 years at the end.
Now my grandpa has smoked all his life so it wasn't the biggest surprise that he got lung cancer but it still was hard on all of us.
After he was first diagnosed he spend a lot of time in hospital until my mum checked him out of hospital because in her opinion there wasn't much else they could do. As a result of that my grandma and grandpa went away to a rehabilitation centre for people with cancer. And that was also the first time us kids were allowed to visit him. He started to recover a bit and looked like a human again which was the reason our parents would let us visit.
My mum, sister and I spend a weekend with my grandma and my grandpa there and so did my other cousins with their parents.
Sadly him feeling good didn't last very long and his health went down hill pretty fast from there.
However my mum and her sisters (all of them work in health care in some way) decided that it would be best to keep him at home. He stayed in bed most of the time because he was to weak to sit or walk.
I remember we had a kindle of rabbits at that time. Our grandpa had always been the one who loved taking care of our rabbits as much as we did. We spend hours sitting on the floor in his room and telling him about the little baby rabbits, hoping he would live long enough so we could show him one of them. He did and I can still see the smile of his face, when my mum told us we were allowed to go and get one of the rabbits.
This is one of the last pictures I have of him, he looks so happy. His name was Herbert as you can probably tell :)




During the final months leading up to his death we were not allowed in his room anymore. He started to look more and more like a skeleton. His cheeks were hollow and wherever you touched him he would bruise. It was horrible because he didn't look anything like the person we had known. I mean I was 11 and my sister was 8, we had no idea what was going on.

But he wasn't the last person we lost to cancer in my family. The husband of my dad's sister died about 1 years after my granddad. He died of liver cancer that caused him to go yellow. My sister and I were scared to death when we visited them because we had no idea who that person was. He looked so different from the person that we had spend time with painting.
My uncle was a great artist and he used to show us around his studio letting us mix paint and even drawing with some of his older paint.
About 3 years ago my grandmas cousin died from lung cancer as well and last year my best friends dad died of esophageal cancer.

Now I don't want people to feel sorry for me but I needed you guys to know that I know what I'm talking about here.

Because although all of these people died of cancer and it was horrible and hard for their relatives, at least they had lived their life. All these people were over 55 years old (and I'm not saying that at 55 years of age it is ok to die) they had the biggest part of their lives behind them. They got to have children and spend years with the people they loved.

So how much harder must it be loosing a child to cancer? They have all of their live ahead of them. There will be so many things that they will miss out on, if they die of leukemia at the age of 11.
They will never get to experience what loving someone feels like or what being a mum or dad means.

That is the reason why I support Trekstock: I want to help try preventing cancer and make children's lives brighter that already have it.
And maybe one day I will be able to say I helped curing cancer.... I know that might be quite far fetched but I'd like to think of it that way.

Officially launched in 2010 Trekstock supports young people with cancer. They try to help prevent and diagnose cancer with the ultimate goal being to beat it.
In order to achieve that they work with famous musicians all over the world as well as publications in well known magazines and newspapers.
You can find Treckstock on pretty much every social media platform because that is their way of communication with their supporters.
Trekstocks wants to raise awareness of cancer and tries to educate the young using music, art and fashion.

And I genuinely believe that their awesome work should be supported because cancer is a disease that is terminate in most cases and especially for children that is really hard to accept.
So why not try to do something against it using the voice of people that are heard among millions all over the world?
And by writing this post I just became part of the social media circle. Although my blog might be quite small I still believe, that by writing this, I helped in some way.

So go check them out and help out if you can :) And maybe someday it will help someone close to you, who knows.
I would have loved if someone would have been able to save my grandpa :)

And like I mentioned before Trekstock works with famous musicians all over the world so if you donate this month you can even win something. But you will have to find that out for yourselves :)
Here is the link : Find out what you can win and maybe donate :)

Or click the button below for a very easy way to help out Trekstock without entering the competition:

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!  

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment