25 August 2013

Words of Wisdom

Hi everyone :)

I got this calendar with a saying for each day of the year for my birthday last year. And so far I have been loving it because some of those sayings are really inspirational. 
And so was today's : 
 A stranger is a friend that you haven't met yet.
(Irish saying)

I instantly thought about first impressions. 
We spend so much time judging other people that we don't even have time for what this saying implies. 
I mean it is a beautiful idea but in all reality this would not happen. Lets be honest: How many times have you met someone for the first time and after 45 seconds you knew that you wouldn't want to get to know them any further. 

And it is not surprising that if you do get to know them better it might turn out that you have been completely wrong about this person. Don't tell me this has never happened to you because it sure has happened to me several times.

I might have said this before but I actually do believe that a person gets more attractive the better you know them. Which can only mean one thing: A persons beauty does have to do a lot with their character. At least for me. 

So a stranger is a friend that we haven't met yet? We should be a lot nicer to strangers then. Obviously that will not work with every stranger but it is a nice thing to do, isn't it? 
For me this definitely is something that I will take into consideration next time I meet someone because I am at university where you basically meet new people every day. 
And it would be a lot easier to just talk to someone you don't know yet if you don't judge them at the same time. Now I always try to do this which has actually lead to me getting to know a truly stunning friend. She is not someone I would usually hang out with but I didn't judge her when we first met and now she has become a really close friend that I treasure. 
For me she was this stranger that turned out as a friend. 
You can only meet those people if you give them a chance though. No prejudices or judgment. 
You can't allow yourself these things if you want to turn a stranger into a friend.
There just is no room for prejudices. 

Meeting someone for the first time it is hard not to jump to conclusions about them I had to learn the hard way. 
When I first moved into my flat I thought all of the boys were really nice, (I tend to think the best of people) turns out one of them was a complete arse. 
So yes first impressions can be wrong in a good way or in bad way. 
Trusting your intuition with someone is probably the best thing to do when you first meet them. 
Living  in a flat with 3 other people is an environment where there is constantly is change. Since I live here I have had 3 people moving out. We had do find someone new and I had to trust my gut feeling when choosing a new flat mate. 
I couldn't allow myself to judge them instead I went with what my intuition told me. If I felt comfortable with someone they would move in even if I didn't like the way they dressed or how they looked or laughed. 

All of them were friends I just hadn't met yet. 
And I'm glad that I did meet them and got the chance to get to know them. 
The flat mate I spend most of my time with is probably the person I expected it the least from. I can't tell you what it was about him that I didn't like in the beginning because I just love him now but there was something. My instincts told me we would get along fine but I there was something about him I didn't like. I had judged him. 
I'm very happy that I got over that because he is amazing. We laugh about the most ridiculous things and sometimes in the most inappropriate moments but I wouldn't wanna have it any other way.

So give this stranger that come along a chance and you might have find him to be your best friend a year from now.

Because a stranger really just is a friend that we haven't met yet.

x
J.





No comments:

Post a Comment