4 August 2013

Family Weekend

Hello everyone :)

I hope all of your weekends were as great as mine was. On Friday my family came to Augsburg for the weekend.
After 2 hours of getting stuck in traffic my mum, grandma, sister and godmother finally made it and we went out for an amazing dinner at a very cute restaurant (might blog about that on Friday).
The reason the came to visit was my grandmas Christmas gift. 
We have a very famous author over here that wrote stories about the Wild West with his two heroes named Winnetou and Old Shatterhand. Winnetou being the Apache chief and Old Shatterhand his blood brother. 
The author is called Karl May and his books are amazing so if you haven't read them I would advise you to do so :D And since these books are pretty big over here in Germany people have turned them into plays that they perform open air in 2 places here. We had been to the ones in Bad Segeberg when my sister and me were little but they are just really far away. And since my grandma is almost 80 years old now we didn't want to put her through an 8 hour drive to get there.
So as we found out that they had the exact same thing in Dasing, which is about a 20 minute drive away from where I live, we just had to give that to her as a Christmas present. Because she loves those shows so much and has always wanted to see another.

Now as I said play most of you probably thought about a theater and a stage, but that is not at all what it is. 
They have horses, big fight scenes and people being set on fire. Oh and loads of explosions and stuff. 

We arrived at the Western City an hour before the show started and had a little walk around. 







It all looks really authentic and all the people in the stores and behind the bar in the saloon wore costumes which was really cool. I know you kinda have to be into those sort of things.
They even had a little museum about the creation of the Western City.






Fred Rai the founder of the Western City in Dasing

As the show was about to begin we made our way to the stand. The set up was a lot smaller then the one in Bad Segeberg but nonetheless very imposing. 


It looked especially cool after the sun began to set and they started working that into the show. 


I would have loved to get some actually picture of the performance but the horses were just to fast and the actors were moving around all the time so it was close to impossible to get a proper picture. But I did manage to find a clip about it on YouTube. 



There is a lot of firing guns and explosions involved but no horse seemed to care. It is impressive how well they are trained and how good all the actors are at riding them. Doing stunts with their horses and everything. 
We had so much fun watching the show although all the other people probably thought we were a bit insane.

At the beginning we didn't quite understand what was going on and then a dog just started running around the place. My grandma is quite and impatient person so when there was still no sign of Winnetou after the first 20 minutes she just had to speak up. So she said (quite loudly): Where is Winnetou? I came here to see him, what is this? Literally everyone that was sitting within a ranger of 5 meters of us turned around. And it did continue that way :D
When that dog ran across the 'stage' next time we ( my mum, godmother, my sister and I) started cheering because that is just how we are (and we did so every time the dog ran around somewhere because we just had no idea what it was supposed to do and what it meant for the story).

We had a couple of other things that we had to go crazy about, those being. Winnetou and his riding skills and the Comanche chief because we liked his looks :D

Winnetou
Comanche chief ( I should probably add that my mum and godmother liked his looks my sister and me just thought he really looked the part and eh had a cool horse)

We had an amazing time there and probably looked really weird with all the cheering and laughing we did at really inappropriate moments. 
If you ever get the chance to go to one of the Karl May shows I would suggest you do so. They are not that expensive and even if you are not a big fan of Karl May are very fun to watch. 




And they have cute signs at the toilet doors :)

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment