27 July 2013

Movies

Hi guys!

How is the weather where ever you are?
It is such a glorious day outside but right now it is way to hot to be out there. The weather forecast predicted 39°C for today and  it is around 1 pm. S since it's the hottest time of the day I decided to hide inside and write this cheeky little blog post and then go back outside and enjoy the rest of the day with my cousin in Munich. 

I personally really enjoys a good film. I own a lot of  dvd's, but not all of those movies are that good. Some I just bought because they are funny or because we needed them for our youth group at church. 
But there is 2 movies in my collection that are absolutely amazing. They are my favourite films to watch, apart from the 'Lord of the Rings-Trilogy'. But the problem with 'Lord of the Rings' is that not everyone likes the genre of the film. A lot of my friends have never seen it because the just don't like fantasy in general. 
So I chose 2 films that everyone could watch.

Dead Poets Society:



This movie is quite old but nevertheless it is one of the best movies out there. At least for me. 
It's about a group of young students that discover their love for literature with the help of their new teacher. And throughout  that process they slowly figure out who they are as much as what they want in life. 
Their teacher (devotedly played by Robin Williams) breaks away from traditional teaching because he thinks it doesn't do literature any justice. He takes them away from just reading things and instead gets them really thinking about it, to a point where they meat in a cave and start reading poems in their spare time. 
I don't think you have to enjoy literature as much as I do to enjoy this film. It just genuinely is an amazing movie. 
It shows how difficult it is growing up if you have no one to believe in you. And I think it is a great example of an incredible teacher. I think if more teachers would be like the one Robin Williams embodies in this movie there would be a lot more creative people out there.
Every time I watch this movie I go away with the wish to read a book. 

Here is a great clip from the movie, that shows how dedicated they are to their teacher because they respect and love him that much for what he has given them:



It is such a beautiful movie with a sad ending that makes me cry every time. 


On a much lighter note I have a movie that is a bit newer and very funny.

Little Miss Sunshine:



The movie is about this chubby little girl Olive that wants to become a beauty queen. As result the whole family goes on a journey through America to get to California for her beauty pageant. 
It soon becomes clear that there is a lot more to that family then just the little girls obsession with winning this competition, called Little Miss Sunshine. 
Her brother doesn't talk because he wants to make a point, her uncle tried to kill himself because the guy he fell in love with didn't love him back and her grandfather is coaching her strip tease moves for her performance at the pageant. A lot of things happen while they travel across the country and most of it is pretty hilarious. 
But although this movie obviously is a comedy it has a pretty good message that it brings across. Because the core of this movie is not the journey to that pageant but the journey they take as a family. It is a cute movie with a great story. And Abigail Breslin is amazing in her role as Olive. Because this little girl is a pure as she is innocent. In her own way she is the reason the family grows together because with the wisdom of a child she understands what is going on without actually knowing it. 

Little Miss Sunshine is a great movie for a family movie night or to watch with friends and I can highly recommend it.

Have a good day everyone. I'm going to further enjoy the sunshine :)

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment