30 July 2013

International Day of Friendship

Hi guys!

Did you know that it is the International Day of Friendship today?
I sure as hell had never heard of this day before until they mentioned it on the radio today.

The first World Friendship Day was celebrated in 1958 so it is quite an old tradition but nevertheless had I never heard of it.
Also the tradition of giving friendship bracelets originated from this celebration. I clearly remember making them when I was little and giving them to literally everyone.
My grandma has thousands of these bracelets made by all 9 of her grandchildren.

Although I have never heard of this day before I thought it would be a good thing to write about, since it got me thinking about my friendships.
Now I don't have that many really close friends, but the ones I have really mean a lot to me.
I don't know why there is so view of the really close ones but there sure are a lot more people that I consider friends.
I would describe myself as a very energetic person. If I don't go for a run every second day I will not be able to walk around like a normal human being anymore but instead start jumping. And I do get that this might make it quite hard for other people to take me serious. But if you know me you will also know that it is completely normal for me. I'm a very happy person and I get overly excited about the smallest things which can seem crazy at times.
Those are probably the reason that some people think I am very annoying and striking, but I don't do it to get extra attention it is just the way I am.
I have still to meet someone who is like me. I know everyone has some friends that are the same kind of person but I haven't found someone like me yet which can be quite lonely from time to time. Because although I love my friends and I know they love me I still feel like they don't get me now and than.

Taking all this in consideration I am very grateful for the view people that put up with me on a regular basis :)
And I would like to thank some of these people. They will know who they are :)

My best friend:
Quite possibly the only person I have never ever lied to. He is my save haven. Whenever I need him he is there for me and he has been through a lot with me.
He also is the only person that is like me for most parts at least. We are so much alike sometimes that I feel like I need to kill him just before I realise that I did the same thing not that long ago and he got equally as annoyed.
My mum called him when I was in hospital and he came to visit the next day bringing me my favourite stuff to eat and drink. I just know I can always count on him and no matter how far apart we live we will always have this connection.
I am very grateful to have him in my life not only because he is always there for me but also because I know that if I ever need to be reminded of who I am, he will do it. He tells me the truth even if I don't want to hear it which can hurt at first but you will come to appreciate it. I truly treasure every moment we get to spend together because they have become really rare since I moved away.

Another very important person for me at the moment is someone I go to university with. She is awesome and I get along with her so well even though we are complete opposites. I never thought I could be friends with someone like her but boy was I wrong.
We don't see each other often but when we do it is so much fun even if it is just for 5 minutes on campus.
She is such a beautiful person and I'm not only talking about her looks. She is sincere and she always manages to astonish me with her wisdom. There is something about her that makes her a very fun person to be around and easy to talk to.
From the moment I met her she was endearing and candid and it is cute how gullible she can be sometimes :)
And she gets me and most of my weird habits. Even if she doesn't I don't think it would matter:) Because although I wouldn't describe myself as socially awkward I would most certainly say that I can seem a bit strange if you don't know me.

And the third person that I am lucky enough to have in my life at the moment should know who they are :)
We don't know much about each other but I do like to be around him and we haven't known each other for long.
I don't open up to people easily but with him I feel like I don't have to, for him to be my friend. At least not straight away.
In addition I think that he still has to get used to me being the weirdo I am sometimes. For example when I get so happy that I just randomly start jumping around while we are walking to the bus stop. And I hum when I feel at peace with myself and the world :)

So to all three of you:
I am lucky to know you and really do appreciate you.
Just wanted you to know that and if I still knew how to make these friendship bracelets I would totally make you some. 

So have you told your friends how important they are to you, today? If you haven't there is still some time left to do so.
I think it is important that we tell our friend what they mean to us from time to time.

From all the gifts fate has given us, there is no greater good than friendship - Epikur von Samos

Friendship is one soul in two bodies - Aristotle

You and me: We are one. I can't hurt you without hurting myself. - Mahatma Gandhi

x
J.







No comments:

Post a Comment