19 July 2013

Food Friday - Café Max

Hi there :) Did you have a good week?


Last weekend when my mum came to visit I took her to a lovely restaurant that I had been to before with friends. I didn't actually eat something when I went there but it looked really good so we thought we would give it a try. And when I say I took my mum to the restaurant I mean that I showed her where it was and she payed for everything :D

My mum came to Augsburg for work related stuff . They had some sort of conference here in Augsburg and she thought it would be nice to stay with me for the weekend. It was great to have her here in 'my world' and I really enjoyed spending time with her.
So on Friday we decided that we wanted to go out for dinner. We met up with 2 of her colleagues, that she is friends with and went to Café Max.

It is located in the town centre of Augsburg right next to an ancient fountain from the 16th century. Although it is on the main street it is still lovely to sit outside which is what we did, as it was a gorgeous day. 

The waiter that came to take our orders however was a little strange... we think he might have been drunk as he had really red eyes and didn't look like walking was going really well for him. 
He mixed our orders up quite a bit and kept flirting with us in a weird way, that made me feel quite uncomfortable.
So we weren't off for the best start but by the time we got our meals they had assigned us to a different waiter that was friendly and courteous. 

(We only found out later that the waiter we started off with had been told off and send home because the owner really places value on treating customers right)











My mum and I are very adventurous when it comes to food so we ordered a starter without having a clue as to what it could be. 
They serve a lot of different things but because of their Greek origin mainly greek specialities.
So we had something called Tirokafteri as a starter. It turned out to be some sort of spicy cottage cheese that was incredibly delicious with the bread we were given. 




This is the Greek farmer's salad that my mum got and I can tell you it didn't only look good. 
My mum and I are big on sharing so although we ordered two different things we both had a bit of everything. 
It was dressed only with olive oil and balsamic vinegar which is really simple but something that I absolutely love. 
The ewe's cheese had been pickled in something totally delicious but don't ask me what it was :D







I had a caesar salad with chicken and bacon which you can't see here because there was lots of parmesan on top. They had wrapped the chicken in bacon which made it even better. I don't usually eat bacon, simply because I don't like it that much but I quite enjoyed it combined with the chicken and the cheese. 
For me there is no way you can have enough cheese and having been a vegetarian for almost 11 years I quite frankly am obsessed with good cheese. 
My mum's friend also had the caesar salad and sadly the waiter who was serving us at the beginning had not gotten our orders straight and actually forgot about our other friends dish. 
Our new lovely waiter however was very sorry for what had happened and brought her a little treat from the kitchen because at this point we all had our food and she didn't want to wait any more.
Since we all had loads of food on our plates we also shared some of that with her.

And just as we were happy with the situation the chef, who also happens to be the owner, came to our table and apologized himself. 
He was very sweet and said how sorry he was about 5 times.

And then this happened:

Yes it's Hugo and we got it for free

They brought us cocktails and even were kind enough to make a new one for me, as I don't drink alcohol.
But they weren't done apologizing yet! Shortly after we got the cocktails, this arrived at our table:


I had never had anything like it before but it was sooooo good. I actually wish you could all taste it. 

Again I don't know what it was called but the chef himself brought it to our table and explained what it was. 
It basically is a artichoke filled with mince and some really tasty sauce topped with some cheesy delicious stuff :)

We had a great night at Café Max and the people that work there are very nice and really take their time to explain the menu.
I had such a good time there and I love good food but for me the whole experience of going out for dinner has to be worth going again. With Café Max that definitely was the case.
I really enjoyed myself and their food looks nice and tastes even better. 
And being served by the chef was an experience on it's own :)

So I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a nice night out: Good food and great service that really pays attention to their guests. 

x
J.






2 comments:

  1. Anonymous19/7/13 21:29

    Have you been at Vapiano yet? Also a very lovely restaurant. U have to the the tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny that you mention this :) I have actually just been today with a good friend. I'll maybe blog about it next week or so :)

    ReplyDelete