12 July 2013

Food Friday - Key Lime Pie

Hello you guys :)

It's another Friday with another delicious thing to cook or in this case bake :)


Since it is summer and there is BBQ's everywhere I have been on the hunt for the perfect summer dessert that can also be done on a really short notice. Because lets be honest who really plans a BBQ? At least my friends don't really do so whenever there is a message on my phone from someone saying that the are having a BBQ I always get really stressed out thinking about what I could bring :D

And I might have just solved this problem thanks to SORTED Food which is a YouTube channel with a lot of awesome recipes that they cook. They do sweet things like dessert or cake or dinners that are mostly really easy to make. You can get all recipes for the stuff they make in their videos on their Homepage or just get their cookbook.

The recipe I found on there was for a Key Lime Pie which is really easy to make and tastes absolutely amazing. 


Ingredients:



  • 5 limes
  • handful of caster sugar
  • ginger snap biscuits (300g)  
  • butter, melted (150g)
  • 2 eggs
  • caster sugar (150g)
  • butter, diced (100g)
  • 1 tbsp of cornflour
  • bowl of icing sugar 
You can use whatever biscuits you have. At least that is what I do since I for the love of good couldn't find ginger biscuits anywhere :)
I just now realised that I forgot the eggs in this picture haha that's just the idiot I am on a daily basis :D


halve a lime from one tip to the other and slice the lime into thin slices that are semi-circle in shape. 
dip them in a handful of sugar and lay them out in a single layer on a non-stick baking tray. 
dry the slices out in an oven at 80°C for approximately 3-4 hours until they become candied and peel away from the tray. 
blitz the biscuits up in a food processor to create a fine crumb. 
stir the melted butter into the biscuit crumbs and compress into the base and up the sides of a loose-bottomed cake tin (18cm diameter) to create the crust for the pie. 
zest and juice the remaining 4 limes into a saucepan, then whisk in the eggs. 





add the diced butter, 150g of caster sugar and cornflour. 
heat gently, stirring continually, until the butter has melted and the curd bubbled and thickened. 
pour into the set crust and return to the fridge for a couple of hours. 
beat a splash of water into the icing sugar to form a paste that can be drizzled and scatter across the top of the set key lime pie. 
release the cake from the loose bottomed tin and garnish with the candied lime slices and a sprig of mint. 










I have mastered this recipe to a point where it takes me like 8 minutes to make it and everyone that has tried it so far is absolutely in love with it. 
Thanks again to the lovely people of SORTED food for providing the recipe to this tasty Key Lime Pie. 






I actually didn't do the dried lemon thing cause I mostly have no time for that but I will try and do that this weekend for my flatmates birthday (really hoping he doesn't read this today cause that would kinda spoil the surprise:D).
This Key Lime Pie is done super quick if you don't include the time in the fridge. But I usually just put it into the freezer for a bit which pretty much has the same effect. And it's a good short cut if you don't have 3 hours to put it in the fridge!



What actually makes this the perfect summery dessert is that fact that it is very light and sour because I don't really fancy dessert with chocolate in summer. They are just to rich and sticky for a really hot day. So if you are the same as me with that then this blog post has hopefully helped you :) 
And if you are even luckier it will actually look like in the video above... that's what always makes me a little jealous because my end results never looks like theirs :D

Enjoy this incredibly amazing dessert and have a good sunny summery evening :) 
I'm going out for dinner now so watch out for a post about that next week :)

x
J.


No comments:

Post a Comment