2 May 2013

I read the Book






Found this video on facebook, a friend posted it and it got me laughing :) And after that thinking. They are right, not many people seem to read anymore. People watch movies and then tell you all about them und you are just like: ok did you know that it was based on a book? It's kinda sad really. Okay I have to admit I watched the first Lord of the Rings movie before I read the book but hey I was like 13 :) And I read all the books afterwards and I still think it's one of the best movies that's based on a book. I mean look at Eragon the movie they made was soo bad they didn't even make a second one even though there are 4 books. Or other series like Legend of the Seeker there are books too. And a lot more than they could have possibly put in a series. But I think they did kinda well :) 
But it is a lil sad that a lot of people dont read that much anymore. There are so many great books out there that no one made a film of yet. And books that are probably better off without being turned into a movie. But never the less they are great books. I know back in school I hated my teachers for making me read all those really old books and plays but come to think of it now i really appreciate what they did for me or tried to do haha. I thought about why I had to read them a lot back in school and couldn't understand it but now I finally get it. Books are a huge part of our culture. So many things can never be shown in a movie or put in a song you just have to read it to understand how the person felt that wrote it or what was going on in their lives. This 'older' books like stuff written by Goethe or Shakespeare is something that left an imprint on our culture, some of them are our culture. And every country has its own.  
Books are great in so many ways :
1. Everything you read gets turned into pictures by your mind. Like suddenly you have that picture of a character in your head as if you had met them before. And I guess everyone knows the feeling of reading a book and having that vivid picture of a person in your mind and then you see the movie and you're like: that's not how he is supposed to look like. And that is the great thing no one can read a book like the person that read it before them. Everyone has a different background and has experienced different things so it is impossible for someone to understand and feel the book like another reader or even the author.
2. You get to escape your life. By reading a book you get sucked into this other reality of the story world or even a completly different world (if you are reading fantasy). It's like for the time being you are part of that world. I remember that one time I was reading a book and my flatmate came into the room and I didn't realise it until he started talking to me and that made me jump actually. I got so freaked out that I started yelling at him why he didnt knock and shit, which turns out he did. I just didn't hear it cause I was being somewhere else (meaning in the book).
3. You get a sneak peak into someone elses mind. Isn't it great what some people can come up with? Some stories are so mind-blowing it's crazy. Like lets take Lord of the Rings (yes I am a fan =D) J.R.R Tolkien must have had such a vivid imagination. I would have loved to see how he thinks, the way his mind works. I mean to come up with a whole different language and such an amazing world is just incredible. Something I would love to be able to do myself. 
Well since I can't I'll have to stick with other peoples great ideas and amazing thoughts.

So lets read more it's such a beautiful thing to do. 

And I'm not saying I'm not a fan of movies cause omg I am but reading a good book is sometimes even better because you get to make your own movie in your head :)

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment