26 May 2013

Baking and Hot Chocolate

So like I said yesterday todays post is going to be about food.
For the last two weeks I liturally had no time for cooking or baking at all which I usually do a lot. I had no time for it cause I was studying real hard for an exam I had on friday. I epically failed last semester cause I would have needed only 0.5 point more to pass. Yeah so I had to retake it this semester which really pissed me off and since I wanted to make sure that never happened again I didn't do much apart from trying to get all the grammar of Middle High German in my head.
Not a very fun topic and in my opinion completly useless ( I think most of the people studying German will probably agree, if not let me know and we can have a heated discussion about it lol)
So yes there have been many things I wanted to try out before I would post them here but there was just no way I could spend 3 hours in the kitchen baking stuff. I know a cake doesn't take that long to make but when I do bake I like to get a really good result I'm a bit weird with that I guess. I get a little perfectionist now an then.
So there is 3 things I tried so far but the 3. isn't ready yet and to be honest I havn't got round to translating the recipe yet :D Apart from that: I havn't tried it either so I don't actually know if it is any good, even though it looks really good.
Back to the things I have made:
I spend all of friday evening in the kitchen making cinnamon rolls and me and my flatmate had them for breakfast this morning ( well not all of them :D)



So that's what our breakfast looked like. Yes we had some strawberries with it so we would have at least something that would make us feel good about this breakfast :D But whipped cream is just soooo good.....



Cinnamon roll, Strawberries, Hot White Chocolate with Raffaello


 Now to the 'How-To-Make-This'-Part :

Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe
Ingredients:
500g       flour
42g         yeast
60g         sugar
250 ml    milk
150g       soft butter
140 g      brown sugar
1 tbls      cinnamon ( you can use more if you want it'll just be more cinnamony haha)
50g         icing sugar
a view drops of vanilla essence

How to make them:
Warm the milk up a bit in a pot or you can just do it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. It doesn't have to be hot just so it's warm ( you should be able to still put your finger in ;) ). Put the yeast in the warm milk and mix it with a tbls from the 60g of sugar you have. After that you put the flour in and knead to a smooth dough. Put the dough in the oven at 50°C  and let it prove for around 15 minutes. 
After that put 100g of the soft butter in (not totally melted but soft enough so you can squish it easily with your hands) along with the rest of the sugar. Knead till it is a nice smooth dough. Place it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. 

Put some flour on wherever you wanna roll out the dough and unroll it till it's like 1 cm thick. Melt the last 50g of butter and let it cool down for a bit so it's not totally hot when you put it on the dough. Dab the dough with the butter and spread the mixture of bronw sugar and cinnamon evenly on the dough. Furl the dough (best if you start with the samll side) and then cut it into 2-3 cm thick slices. Get some backing paper onto  a baking plate and lay them on there with the cut face pointing downwards. 
And then back in the oven they go for another 20 minutes of proving. After that they are finally ready to get baked. Around 25 minutes at 160°C on the lowest rail of the oven.

Mix icing sugar with a bit of water and some drops of vanilla essence and spread it over you cinnamon rolls once they are cold. How much water you need depends on how thick you want your icing to be :)

You'll get around 16 cinnamon rolls out of this recipe.

Hot white chocolate with Raffaello:
Recipe
Ingredients:
Milk
Cream
White Chocolate
Raffaello
Whipped Cream
a bit of cinnamon

Basically how much milk/cream/white chocolate you need depends on how much of this drink you actually wanna make. For one mug you have to fill it half with milk and half with cream (for more than one just do it more than once :D). For every two cups you need one bar of chocolate and you need 3 Raffaellos for each cup.

How to make it:
heat up the milk and cream and always keep stiring otherwise it might burn in. As soon as it's boiling you can put the chocolate in, when all of it is melted your drink is almost ready. Just put 3 Raffaellos in your cup and pour your drink in then decorate it with whipped cream and cinnamon.

( I 'stole' this recipe from a German Youtuber called daaruum)

I had a lot of fun making both those things and it was an amazing breakfast this morning. Another reason why we had strawberries with it is, that both the cinnamon rolls and the hot chocolate are really sweet so we kind of neaded something a little less sweet to go with it.

 A little side not: I can just hardly advice you not to make cinnamon rolls if you want others to think your an amazing cook because they look so good. Or if your just like me because you will go mental I can tell since that's what happened to me. Don't get me wrong they taste amazing but they just don't look anything like the once you can buy in shops. I tried to make them look like it but I gave up and decided that them tasting good had to be enough :D So it's not gonna look like art but it sure tastes amazing :)
And if you can get them to look like the ones in a shop: Tell me how you did it!!!! 


I hope you have fun making these things and especially eating/ drinking them 

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment