4 July 2014

Why don't you drink?


That is a question I get asked on a regular basis and it is not like it bothers me to be asked about it, it's what comes after that gets annoying.

Almost 4 years ago now, I decided that after I had tried everything there was to try alcohol wise that I would stop consuming it altogether. 
I had been tipsy, I had been drunk of my ass, and puked my guts out to a point where I was afraid of eating the whole day after wards. I was pretty sure there was nothing left for me to experience with alcohol that could convince me to keep drinking. 

To be fair alcohol never did anything for me. I have always hated that state of mind you get into where your speech slowly starts to slur together and you have to start thinking about walking. 
That state kind of freaks me out. It is a loss of control that I don't like.
I am in no way a control freak but I like knowing what is going on. I like to be in control of my body, which I guess is also the reason for me not smoking, taking drugs or drinking coffee. All three of these things as well as drinking are addictive. Some more than others, but being addicted to something for me means handing over control to that thing that you are addicted to. 
And never did I ever want to be controlled by a substance. 
Having said that I still felt like I should at least try all of the above so I wasn't just judging things I had no idea about. 
So yes: I have had a drag of a cigarette, I have eaten hash browns and I have been drunk. All of these just once so I could be able to say I honestly didn't like it.
And I didn't. In fact I hated it.

So I am proud to say that I don't drink and most people are absolutely cool with it, some even go as far as saying it's impressive how 'clean' I live. 
I have made this decision for myself and I couldn't be happier with it, that is why I hate people who belittle me for it.

Occasionally I will meet someone new and they will offer to buy me a drink and I will have to refuse and say they can buy me a coke instead. That will than mostly end in me explaining why I don't drink and yes I have been asked if I was pregnant before. No I am not, just to clarify! :D
And after telling why I don't drink there are these people who will say: Oh that sucks. So you can't even have a beer. 
I mean what part of: I don't drink was so hard to understand? Also they make it sound like someone forbade me to drink, like I was some sort of victim.
No I made that choice out of my own free will and I don't need people telling me that it sucks. 
Sorry but being drunk every weekend and making a fool out of myself isn't my thing. 
I guess there will always be people with an opinion very different to yours but why can't we just let them be?
Why am I being talked into drinking with people, why do people see me not drinking as a challenge? 
It is not! I am not seeking attention with this, it is just something I decided I didn't want for myself.

And people should respect that.
If you are convinced that what you are doing is something you are absolutely sure of than don't let people tell you otherwise. They have no right to criticize your choices or to try and trick you into abandoning them. 

I guess what I am trying to say is: Be strong in your beliefs and don't let people's opinions shake your conviction!

x
J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment