13 February 2014

How is that Okay?

Hi everyone :)

I am pretty sure by now all of you who are interested in sports have heard of Michael Sam. You haven't? Well he is the NFL player who came out as gay a couple of days ago.
I think that is a pretty brave thing to do considering he is the first or could be the first. And that is were this blog post comes in.
Because he could be the first openly gay player in the NFL big emphasis on could. Because there now is quite a big chance that he won't get drafted.
Although the NFL apparently welcomed his announcement. A couple of players have tweeted and said really supportive things in interviews and I think that is important!
And I mean in what modern world society is it okay not to draft a good player because of his sexuality? Because I am pretty sure he is not the first man to play in the NFL who is gay he might just be the first one who does it openly.
I agree 100% with this guy:



I mean there literally are players that have been to jail for things like homicide, sexual assault, bribery and that list could go on. And there are a lot more former players who are now in jail. 
So these guys can play but we'll make it hard for someone who is gay? How is that even a thing? 
What is the worst that's gonna happen? He's gonna ogle his teammates while showering? Don't even try and tell me straight guys don't do that as well!

I just think it shouldn't make a difference because what he does off field has nothing to do with his qualities as a player now does it?
Just let him o his thing and treat him like you would treat any other player, I would even go as far as to say that he shouldn't feel the need to say it beforehand. Why do we still make such a big deal out of this when it is now possible for gay people to get married. Why do we make them stand in the spotlight and tell everyone about their sexuality.
I have never seen a straight person hold an interview about their sexuality before they got into some fancy sports team. 
It's a concept I don't really get but aside from gay people having to announce it, it shouldn't make a difference afterwards.

x
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment